HowToLearn.com features the very best ways to learn a new language and includes new studies from Rosetta Stone Totale program showing that learners advance one to two levels in language acquisition.
Studies from the University of Southern California show that success in learning a new language includes not just oral presentation of the new language but total acquisition of the language in all three learning styles.
The best ways to learn a new language include visual, auditory and kinesthetic methods as you find in programs such as Rosetta Stone.
In fact, Rosetta Stone just released new study results showing that TOTALe is one of the best ways to learn a new language for Elementary-School-Age Children
ARLINGTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)- Rosetta Stone Inc., a leading provider of technology-based language-learning solutions, today unveiled a study of the pedagogical implications and learning outcomes for elementary-school-age children who use the Rosetta Stone® TOTALe® software solution.
The study examined the effects of TOTALe as a stand-alone system on the second-language development of third, fourth, fifth and sixth graders learning Mandarin Chinese and Spanish.
The scientific research was commissioned to address the effectiveness of educational technology on children learning a second language and determine the best ways to learn a new language.
Conducted by a team of independent, university-level linguistics researchers, the study examined speaking- and listening-skills acquisition among 78 elementary school students. During the three-month study, students spent two and a half hours per week learning Chinese or Spanish with Rosetta Stone TOTALe. Outcomes were measured via comparisons of pre-test and post-test scores.
Rosetta Stone TOTALe includes
- Rosetta Course®. The award-winning language-learning software, complete with proprietary speech-recognition technology. It is based on the Rosetta Stone Dynamic Immersion® method, which connects words with vivid imagery in real-life contexts to convey meaning.
- Rosetta Studio® Live sessions tutored by native speakers in an interactive online environment. In Studio sessions, students practice for practicing speaking skills with other learners who are at the same level.
- Rosetta World® An exclusive community dedicated to language learning. Rosetta World presents a structured environment to help students practice skills by playing games and reading stories designed for their learning level.
Rosetta Stone TOTALe positively impacted students’ receptive language abilities in a number of areas and proves to be one of the best ways to learn a new language. The learners studying Chinese and those studying Spanish made significant improvements from pre-tests to post-tests with a variety of linguistic structures and vocabulary items. The learners were tested on their oral proficiency and listening proficiency, as well as their vocabulary and syntax. The results are outlined below:
- Eighty-eight percent of students learning Spanish increased at least one level in terms of their oral proficiency skills, and 75 percent of students learning Chinese increased at least two levels.
- Using the National Online Early Language Learning Assessment (NOELLA) to assess listening skills, the study showed that 71 percent of students learning Spanish and 55 percent of students learning Chinese increased at least one level.
The students’ use of Rosetta Stone TOTALe also had an effect on their perceptions of different cultures and on their worldviews. The parents of the children noted positive outcomes associated with the use of TOTALe.
One parent commented, “I’m grateful my daughter had the opportunity. She enjoyed (the TOTALe sessions) and seemed to benefit from being exposed to the language and to all she learned—it really expanded her view of the world.”
“Rosetta Stone understands the importance of preparing students to become global citizens,” said Judy Verses, president of Global Institutional Sales at Rosetta Stone. “This study’s findings have accelerated our efforts to develop a Rosetta Stone TOTALe solution so that elementary schools can leverage our platform and prepare their students by using one of the best ways to learn a new language and have successful futures.”
To see the full study, please visit www.RosettaStone.com/k12study
Rosetta Stone plans to make TOTALe available for the K-12 market in the first half of 2012.
HowToLearn.com recommends Rosetta Stone, which we include among the very best ways to learn a new language.
Pat Wyman is America's Most Trusted Learning expert and the founder of HowToLearn.com. She is a learning expert, best selling author, and language learning expert, having taught ESL in all grades. Pat's highest recommendations include the Rosetta Stone Totale program among the best ways to learn a new language.