Here are some great books to read before school starts.
- Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey This Caldecott Medal winner is a great book for preschoolers, kindergarteners and beginning readers.
- Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel a Caldecott Award winner, is one of the best classic picture story books.
- Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes, winner of the 2005 Caldecott Medal, a good children's picture book for toddlers and preschoolers.
Primary Grade Books
- Beezus and Ramona - by Beverly Cleary
- The Big Dipper - by Franklyn M. Branley
- Blueberries for Sal - by Robert McCloskey
4th - 6th grade
- The View from Saturday - by E. L. Konigsburg
- And One for All - by Theresa Nelson
- Are You There God? It's Me Margaret - by Judy Blume
7th - 9th grade
- April Morning - by Howard Fast
- Bridge to Terabithia - by Katherine Paterson
- Catherine, Called Birdy - by Karen Cushman
And, after reading the book or reading the books to your children, use page 19 or 21 from Ten Minutes to Better Study Skills to do a simple book report. This shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Then 3 whole punch your book report/record of reading summary and keep it in your family notebook.
At the end of the summer you'll have a GREAT family memory book as well!
Bonnie Terry, M. Ed., BCET, Board Certified Educational Therapist #10167, is the founder of BonnieTerryLearning.com considered one of the top experts in the country in helping teachers and parents identify their students’ learning difficulties and whether they have a learning disability.
Remember, with just a few minutes a day you can help your child with their learning skills even if they have a learning problem or a learning disability!