As a learning specialist I hate to waste an opportunity for my children to be learning, and I hate to waste an opportunity to have fun with the family. That’s why I have created the following list of family holiday activities. Each activity builds family comradery as well as learning skills.
Holiday Gift for You: 2 Reports - Download the Best Education and Special Needs Apps Report and 25 ADHD Tips Report Here!
10 Family Holiday Activities
1. Have a family game night...and do play some that are educational too! Our favorite family games include:
2. Do a family Secret Santa where everyone in the family draws names and then does one special thing for the person they drew each day...it might be sneaking into their room and making their bed for them or secretly taking out the trash for them. (No bought gifts!)
3. Each family member writes down 3 things you like to do as a family share them at breakfast or at dinner
4. Have a family sing-along night of Christmas carols
5. Bake dough ornaments and then paint them and hang them
To make 1 dozen ornaments:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
4 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of salt
1 1⁄2 cups of water
Poster paint, tube paint, or tempera paint
Clear Polyurethane spray
Ribbon or yarn
Mix 4 cups of all-purpose flour with 1 cup of salt
Then add 1 1⁄2 cups of water, mix well, knead it for about 10 minutes. Then roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
Cut into desired shapes and make holes for hanging. Bake for 30 minutes; allow to cool.
Decorate with poster paints or tube paints. Allow to dry and spray with clear polyurethane on both sides to preserve. Use ribbon or yarn pieces to hang.
6. Watch a holiday movie together and share your favorite parts
7. Have the kids decorate their bedroom door for the holidays
8. Write a family letter to a soldier
9. Research how Christmas is celebrated in another country
10. Tell stories sitting in the room with only the Christmas tree lit up.
Bonnie Terry, M. Ed., BCET is internationally recognized as America's Leading Learning Specialist. She is an award winning author and learning disability specialist and board certified educational therapist.
Best Selling Author: Family Strategies for ADHD Kids, School Strategies for ADHD Kids, Five Minutes to Better Reading Skills, Ten Minutes to Better Study Skills, and the Sentence Zone Game
Best selling co-author: Amazing Grades
Radio Program: Host of Learning Made Easy Talk Radio every Tuesday 9:30 am CST on AWOP