Making your own baby cereal versus feeding commercial baby cereal can be one of the best decisions you make toward your baby’s health. Many moms fear that making their own baby cereal is time-consuming and difficult. The truth is, preparing baby cereal, I like to call it Super Porridge, is easy, plus it is full of organic, superior nutrition AND money saving.
Super Porridge is made from whole grains. It is super easy to make. Whole grains, organic when you can find them, are the absolute best food you can give to your baby and will serve as the base for your baby’s diet. Making your own baby food is not only the best you can offer your baby it is also amazingly satisfying experience. As your baby grows, just a few tweaks to consistency and ingredients can provide the flexibility to keep your baby satisfied and growing.
Here is how to prepare Super Porridge for your baby
Remember: most babies will start “solid” foods between the ages of 4 – 6 months.
Check with your pediatrician before starting on solid foods before you get your baby started on solid food.
- Measure 1 cup of water on the stove to boil.
- Measure ¼ cup brown rice into your blender. Grind well, for about 2 minutes. (it’s going to be very loud, but it’s important to let the blender grind the brown rice down)
- When the water starts to boil on the stove, turn the heat down to the lowest setting.
- Sprinkle the ground rice into the water while stirring briskly with a wire whisk.
- Cover the pot and keep it on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently with the whisk to prevent scorching on the bottom and to remove lumps.
- Let cool
The recipe above will yield 2 – ½ cup servings for your baby. Feed some now and save some for later by dividing the porridge in 3 individual containers with lids. Cooked Super Porridge will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Other grains that can be used to make Super Porridge for baby include: Barley, Oatmeal, and Millet. Once baby reaches 9 months, Super Porridge can be infused with more protein by adding the ground legumes to the ground brown rice and prepared as above.
Super Porridge is practical, nutritionally superior, easy to make and cost-saving – your baby will thank you for it someday.
You can find Ruth at her website www.SuperBabyFood.com.
Ruth Yaron, BS, MBA, MS is the bestselling author of Super Baby Food, the premier guide to feeding baby including absolutely everything you should know about feeding your baby solid foods during the first three years!