Mounting technological breakthroughs and the ease with which young people adapt to its use were part of the inspiration that led to the Pocket-Hound, an unobtrusive hand-held device for detecting unauthorized cell phone use in the classroom.
Security expert and Berkeley Varitronics Systems (BVS) CEO Scott Schober wants kids to do well in school – and that means not taking the easy way out and cheating to make good grades.
“Students are tempted during exam time to do a quick search on Google for the answer that slipped their mind,” Schober says.
“There is also a temptation to text their buddy sitting across the room asking for some assistance. Many students are so proficient at texting they don’t need to look at the keyboard for more than a millisecond.
They hide their mobile phone under their desk, between their legs, or in their pocket, making it all the more challenging to catch the culprit.”
Cheating on everything from government exams to high school quizzes is becoming prevalent around the world as cell phone subscriptions soar.
The Pocket-Hound slips easily into a pocket or lies concealed in the palm, vibrating when unauthorized cell phone use is detected.
The Pocket-Hound also has a row of blue LED lights that flash at the same time.
An integrated multiband antenna is hidden under the label; the internal rechargeable Li-ION battery has a run time of up to 2 hours.
The receiver continually scans all cell phone bands and utilizes a sophisticated algorithm constantly sampling the Radio Frequency (RF) noise floor to distinguish real cellular activity vs. ambient RF noise.
– University professors/teacher to catch a cheating student that is using their mobile phone during an exam
– Security personnel in a secure federal facility can enforce a NO CELL PHONE policy
– Law Enforcement can use the PocketHound as a Covert detector to find mobile phones
– Correctional/Prisons utilize this product to detect and locate contraband cell phones
– Courts can use the PocketHound to prevent mobile phones from being used to leak information
– Within conference rooms the PocketHound can alert security of mobile phone use and prevent the insider threat of corporate espionage.
– TSCM -Technical Surveillance Counter Measure groups can use this to enforce a No Cell Phone policy in secure commercial and government facilities.
She teaches at California State University, East Bay and is known as America’s Most Trusted Learning Expert. She helps children and adults solve learning problems with her Amazing Grades Study Skills System and is an expert in learning styles.
Take the free quiz and find out your preferred learning styles.