Parents, irrespective of ethnicity, socioeconomic status, or cultural family background want to be assured their child will experience positive educational experiences and receive the appropriate academic preparation that will lead to a productive and successful life for their child’s future.
Educators are clear about their personal and professional purpose.
- They have knowledge of and understand the expectations related to their career responsibilities, and can clearly articulate their life’s purpose.
- They take advantage of professional growth opportunities and tools.
- They create a balance between their personal and professional life resulting in a positive impact on their day to day interactions with students.
Educators are knowledgeable and understand the educational laws and policies that govern their roles and responsibilities within the educational setting.
- They understand that the major goal of all school personnel is to utilize the knowledge of education law and school policies to resolve problems at the lowest level. In this case, they can focus on their primary task of educating our youth.
- Additionally, they demonstrate through their actions how to apply educational laws whether constitutional, statutory, administrative, or judicial when fairly and equitably toward all students.
Educators are committed to utilizing “best” practices in their delivery of instruction inclusive of culturally responsive curriculum and pedagogy and addresses the cultural, economic, language and learning difference of the students they are responsible for educating.
- Being a professional educator committed to utilizing best practices necessitates making difficult and ethical decisions. They understand ethics in education commands a high degree of responsibility and comes with the privilege of teaching, nurturing, and mentoring someone’s child, and ensures they preserve the appropriate student/ teacher relationship.
- They are committed to being proficient in a repertoire of instructional strategies that are research based and reflect best practices in their field of study.
- They reflect models of educated persons, exemplifying qualities such as fairness, integrity tolerance, respect and responsiveness to diversity.
Educators recognize the importance of associating and networking with the right people and take advantage of mentors and professional networking.
- They recognize that mentoring and professional networking is crucial to their success and seek out individuals who care about them and their success.
- They learn to recognize master educators who are positive role models.
Educators understand the power of prayer including (a) the importance of having faith in themselves and their students; (b) understanding the legal framework related to the separation of church and state and the role professional educators must play within the public school arena and; (c) knowledge of current research related to the impact of prayer on personal health that how it can positively impact the educator’s professional as well as personal life.
- These are educators who will ensure that their classrooms and schools are welcoming to students of all faiths as well as those who do not profess to have faith.
- They take seriously the responsibility of creating a learning environment for all students that render an understanding of and respect for diversity, a spirit of acceptance and a sincere advocacy for inclusion that leads to positive educational experiences.
Whether or not a student has had a positive and successful educational experience; is actively engaged in the educational process; desires to continue learning beyond high school and is committed to becoming a successful and productive citizen is dependent largely upon the encounters they have with educators during the course of their K-12 experiences.
Educators who embellish the 5 Ps will undeniably create these positive educational experiences for your child.
Dr. Marva T. Dixon
Dr. Marva T. Dixon is the author of The Power of the 5 Ps: What Every Educator Needs to Know. She is former principal, Director of General Curriculum and Executive Director of Innovation and Support for Grand Prairie ISD. She currently serves as a motivational and keynote speaker and is the CEO of Dixon & Associates Consulting Services LLC. Visit her website for more information.