There are millions of grandparents in our nation who play a major role in nurturing their young grandchildren’s development.
According to Grandparents.com, 72 percent of today’s grandparents take care of their grandchildren on a regular basis, while 6.2 million households now have grandparents living under the same roof as their grandkids.
On Your Lap, In Your Heart: Supporting Your Young Grandchild’s Healthy Development is a new set of free, online resources developed by ZERO TO THREE to support ALL grandparents—especially those providing routine care– in the vitally important role they are playing and to celebrate the unique and special relationship between grandparent and grandchild. All materials are available in English and Spanish. Funding for the resources was provided by MetLife Foundation.
Visit ZeroToThree.org resources to read more on the following topics:
- Child development from birth to three
- Sharing caregiving responsibilities with adult children
- Communicating effectively with adult children
- Supporting your grandchild through a separation or divorce
- Fun early learning activities
- Sharing family traditions
- Setting age-appropriate limits
- Impact of trauma on young children.
The topics were generated by focus group research ZERO TO THREE conducted with diverse groups of grandparents in various U.S. cities. The resources are free on-line or can be purchased in packs of tear-off sheets for a nominal amount through the ZERO TO THREE bookstore.
ZERO TO THREE is a national nonprofit whose mission is to support the health and development on infants and toddlers.