By now, I’m sure you’re aware that Omega-3 fatty acids are vital to our health and well-being. And while many adults boost their brain power by taking Omega-3 supplements, these beneficial oils should also be given to our children.
A recent study found that children can significantly benefit from omega-3 DHA supplements. The study reported significant impact of omega-3 DHA in relation to a child’s vocabulary and comprehensive testing performance.
Researchers suggest early intake of omega-3 supplements can and will benefit your child’s cognitive learning and may increase intelligence in their pre-school and school-aged years. As you read this, you’re probably excited to boost your child’s brain power with Omega-3’s, but wondering how you’re going to get your picky eater to take a pill or liquid that most adults struggle with. Well, Karlene Karst, a mother, Registered Dietician and five-time published author on “Healthy Fats,” created a new line of Omega-3 supplements – Sea-Licious – designed with kids in mind.
In addition to Omega-3 supplements, Karlene recommends the following 7 steps to make your child smarter.
- Supplement each day with ½ tsp. of pure Omega-3 oils. Sea-Licious is one of the tastiest and most powerful options on the market.
- After age 1, begin to incorporate nut butters such as almond and sunflower as a way to increase healthy omega-3s. Nut butters can be spread on brown rice cakes, pita bread or sprouted grain bread for a delicious breakfast or snack.
- Incorporate ground flaxseeds, chia and pumpkin seeds into baked goods such as muffins, loafs and cookies. They can even be added to soups and stews for additional fiber, protein and of course healthy fat.
- Greek yogurt—such a delicious, healthy snack! You can incorporate Sea-Licious right into the yogurt if your child doesn’t want to take their omega-3 oil on its own.
- Smoothies—this is one of the easiest and delicious ways to pack a ton of nutrients into your child’s diet. As a base use organic milk or a dairy alternative such as rice, or almond milk. Load the smoothie up with spinach, berries, and add a banana for sweetness. You can also add the chia/flaxseeds as well as Sea-Licious right into the blender!
- Serve fish such as halibut and salmon. There are many delicious ways to prepare it. Make it flavorful and your kids will love it!
- Be your child’s role Model—they will do what you do! If you are taking your Omega-3’s, so will your children! If you eat healthy, so will your children!
Karlene Karst, is a mother, Registered Dietician and five-time published author on “Healthy Fats.” Karlene believes so strongly in the power of Omega-3’s that she developed her own line called Sea-Licious, which she give to her two young boys every day!